Marcos meltdown doesn`t shock fellow pros
Melbourne: Marcos Baghdatis was fined for an extraordinary racquet-smashing tantrum but in a sport known for its meltdowns, fellow players greeted the outburst calmly.
Trailing by two sets to love in yesterday`s second round clash with Switzerland`s Stanislas Wawrinka, the Cypriot stunned spectators by breaking not one, not two, not three but four racquets as he briefly lost the plot.
The 26-year-old, taken to heart by Australians during his run to the final in 2006, didn`t even bother to take two of his racquets out of their plastic wrappers.
As footage of the tirade went viral, Baghdatis, beaten in four sets, was fined USD 800 by the tournament referee for "abuse of racquets and equipment".
Sporadic bad on-court behaviour is nothing new in a sport that experienced the spectacular hissy-fits of US player John McEnroe, who became defined as much by his bad-boy antics as his stunning tennis.
Five-time Australian Open winner Serena Williams escaped with a USD 2,000 fine for an angry outburst at the chair umpire during last year`s US Open final -- her second such incident at the event in two years.
Williams said that she used to be a racquet-breaker, but realised now that there were better ways to let out frustrations.
"I sometimes break them in practice, just not in a match any more," she said.
"But it`s definitely not the best way to release your anger," she added. "I think the older you get, you realise there`s more different ways."
Men`s number one Novak Djokovic admitted racquet-pummelling can help relieve the pressure in a sport where players are alone on court and can receive no help from their coaches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3