Maria Sharapova clinches Stuttgart title
Stuttgart: Maria Sharapova defeated world no. 1 Victoria Azaraneka 6-1, 6-4 in the Stuttgart clay court final to clinch her first title of the year on Sunday.
The second-ranked Russian had lost two finals--Australian Open and Indian Well-- against the Belarusian and by winning the title broke Azarenka’s 26-match winning streak this year.
In a match that saw Azarenka being treated for a wrist injury at the beginning of the second set, Sharapova was the dominant one racing to a 3-0 lead in just 30 minutes during the first set.
22-year-old Azarenka fought hard in the second set but failed to overcome her opponent to lose it 4-6.
"In such a tough tournament with difficult opponents, it was a good week," said Sharapova, whose victory came in 84 minutes,” she was quoted as saying in the media reports.
"(Azarenka) was injured today, maybe she could not perform well but I am happy to be the champion here this year.”
"I was going to use this event as a warm-up (to the French Open) so I did not come much earlier. Maybe I should continue doing it like that," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- Karisma Kapoor just shared a major throwback picture with sister Kareena and we LOVE IT!
- Fungi show green way to recycle batteries
- 7th Pay Commission: Government employees likely to get revised allowances from October
- 'Nervous' Pakistan lodges FIR against Baloch leaders for 'supporting' PM Modi's statement on Balochistan
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit