Maria Sharapova clinches Stuttgart title
Stuttgart: Maria Sharapova defeated world no. 1 Victoria Azaraneka 6-1, 6-4 in the Stuttgart clay court final to clinch her first title of the year on Sunday.
The second-ranked Russian had lost two finals--Australian Open and Indian Well-- against the Belarusian and by winning the title broke Azarenka’s 26-match winning streak this year.
In a match that saw Azarenka being treated for a wrist injury at the beginning of the second set, Sharapova was the dominant one racing to a 3-0 lead in just 30 minutes during the first set.
22-year-old Azarenka fought hard in the second set but failed to overcome her opponent to lose it 4-6.
"In such a tough tournament with difficult opponents, it was a good week," said Sharapova, whose victory came in 84 minutes,” she was quoted as saying in the media reports.
"(Azarenka) was injured today, maybe she could not perform well but I am happy to be the champion here this year.”
"I was going to use this event as a warm-up (to the French Open) so I did not come much earlier. Maybe I should continue doing it like that," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter