Maria Sharapova clinches Stuttgart title
Stuttgart: Maria Sharapova defeated world no. 1 Victoria Azaraneka 6-1, 6-4 in the Stuttgart clay court final to clinch her first title of the year on Sunday.
The second-ranked Russian had lost two finals--Australian Open and Indian Well-- against the Belarusian and by winning the title broke Azarenka’s 26-match winning streak this year.
In a match that saw Azarenka being treated for a wrist injury at the beginning of the second set, Sharapova was the dominant one racing to a 3-0 lead in just 30 minutes during the first set.
22-year-old Azarenka fought hard in the second set but failed to overcome her opponent to lose it 4-6.
"In such a tough tournament with difficult opponents, it was a good week," said Sharapova, whose victory came in 84 minutes,” she was quoted as saying in the media reports.
"(Azarenka) was injured today, maybe she could not perform well but I am happy to be the champion here this year.”
"I was going to use this event as a warm-up (to the French Open) so I did not come much earlier. Maybe I should continue doing it like that," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen