Maria Sharapova clinches Stuttgart title
Stuttgart: Maria Sharapova defeated world no. 1 Victoria Azaraneka 6-1, 6-4 in the Stuttgart clay court final to clinch her first title of the year on Sunday.
The second-ranked Russian had lost two finals--Australian Open and Indian Well-- against the Belarusian and by winning the title broke Azarenka’s 26-match winning streak this year.
In a match that saw Azarenka being treated for a wrist injury at the beginning of the second set, Sharapova was the dominant one racing to a 3-0 lead in just 30 minutes during the first set.
22-year-old Azarenka fought hard in the second set but failed to overcome her opponent to lose it 4-6.
"In such a tough tournament with difficult opponents, it was a good week," said Sharapova, whose victory came in 84 minutes,” she was quoted as saying in the media reports.
"(Azarenka) was injured today, maybe she could not perform well but I am happy to be the champion here this year.”
"I was going to use this event as a warm-up (to the French Open) so I did not come much earlier. Maybe I should continue doing it like that," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- DNA: Analysing the derogatory remarks made by Chinese Newspaper on Indians
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption