Maria Sharapova in semis of Madrid Open
Madrid: Russia`s Maria Sharapova advanced to the semifinals at the Madrid Open after a straight sets victory over Kaia Kanepi of Estonia.
Sharapova, the world No. 2, easily took the first set but had to battle through several rallies against Kanepi, ranked 51 in the world, eventually winning the quarterfinals 6-2, 6-4 in an hour and 22 minutes Friday.
The Russian will next face the winner of the match between world No. 6 Angelique Kerber of Germany and Serbia’s Ana Ivanovic.
Sharapova has a 4-1 career record against Kerber and has won six of the last eight matches against the lower-ranked Ivanovic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city