Maria Sharapova in semis of Madrid Open
Madrid: Russia`s Maria Sharapova advanced to the semifinals at the Madrid Open after a straight sets victory over Kaia Kanepi of Estonia.
Sharapova, the world No. 2, easily took the first set but had to battle through several rallies against Kanepi, ranked 51 in the world, eventually winning the quarterfinals 6-2, 6-4 in an hour and 22 minutes Friday.
The Russian will next face the winner of the match between world No. 6 Angelique Kerber of Germany and Serbia’s Ana Ivanovic.
Sharapova has a 4-1 career record against Kerber and has won six of the last eight matches against the lower-ranked Ivanovic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Housing demand may pick up in next six months: Knight Frank
- Bizarre: This London restaurant promotes nudism; you can eat your meals here fully naked!
- Tata Group mulling over plan to launch wearables for yoga practioners, factory workers
- JNU sends show-cause to Umar for movie screening last year
- A vitamin that can decelerate ageing process!