Maria Sharapova makes Stuttgart final
Moscow: Reigning champion and top seed Maria Sharapova reached the final of the Stuttgart Premier tennis tournament after defeating local favourite Angelique Kerber in a hard fought semifinal.
The Russian world No.2 emerged the winner by a score of 6-3, 2-6, 7-5 against sixth-ranked German Kerber in a see-saw encounter Saturday.
Sharapova, a former Wimbledon champion, has been pushed to three sets in all three of her matches so far at the clay-court tournament, following earlier close calls against Ana Ivanovic and Lucie Safarova.
The Russian will play either Chinese second seed Li Na or unseeded American Bethanie Mattek-Sands in the final.
The Stuttgart tournament, known as the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix for commercial reasons, has a prize fund of USD 800,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls