Maria Sharapova makes Stuttgart final
Moscow: Reigning champion and top seed Maria Sharapova reached the final of the Stuttgart Premier tennis tournament after defeating local favourite Angelique Kerber in a hard fought semifinal.
The Russian world No.2 emerged the winner by a score of 6-3, 2-6, 7-5 against sixth-ranked German Kerber in a see-saw encounter Saturday.
Sharapova, a former Wimbledon champion, has been pushed to three sets in all three of her matches so far at the clay-court tournament, following earlier close calls against Ana Ivanovic and Lucie Safarova.
The Russian will play either Chinese second seed Li Na or unseeded American Bethanie Mattek-Sands in the final.
The Stuttgart tournament, known as the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix for commercial reasons, has a prize fund of USD 800,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi