Maria Sharapova pulls out of Stanford event
Stanford: World No.2 Maria Sharapova pulled out of next week`s WTA Tour Standford Classic with a nagging hip injury.
Sharapova`s withdrawal Monday has robbed the tournament of one of its biggest names. The Russian suffered the left hip injury during Wimbledon which ended earlier this month.
"We understand that a player`s health must always come first," said tournament director Kim Hall.
Hall also said Belgium`s Kirsten Flipkens, who is ranked 15th overall, had pulled out. Officials did not give a reason for Flipkens`s withdrawal.
With the loss of Sharapova, the top draws in the event now include recently crowned Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli and world number four Agnieszka Radwanska. Former US Open champion Samantha Stosur, of Australia, and 2010 French Open winner Francesca Schiavone are also in the field.
Sharapova and Flipkens will be replaced in the 28-player draw by world number 46 Daniela Hantuchova and Christina McHale, who is ranked 79th.
The tournament, which includes singles and doubles players, runs from July 22-28.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!