Martinez Sanchez wins tennis Hansol Korea Open
Seoul: Spaniard Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez beat Kazakhstan`s Galina Voskoboeva in the final of the USD 220,000 Hansol Korea Open to win her fifth WTA title.
The 29-year-old Martinez Sanchez defeated Voskoboeva, a first-time WTA finalist, 7-6, 7-6 to win her first hardcourt tournament on the WTA and USD 37,000 in prize money.
The two players had marched to the final without losing a set on the way, with the unseeded Voskoboeva producing two upsets when she put out eighth seed Ekaterina Makarova and fifth seed Polona Hercog.
But the sixth-seeded Spaniard prevailed on Sunday with her tricky left-handed serve and outstanding net play.
She blanked the 26-year-old Kazakh 7-0 in the first set tie-break, then held off three set points to take the second set to a tiebreak, and rolled through that one 7-2.
Sunday`s two-hour showdown was the sixth WTA final for Martinez Sanchez but her first on a hard court.
She is also the first Spaniard to win a WTA title on the surface since Anabel Medina Garrigues won the Canberra International in Australia in January 2006.
Martinez Sanchez` first five finals, of which she won four, were all on clay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar