Milojevic wins Costa Rica`s Coffee Cup
San Jose: Young Serbian tennis star Nikola Milojevic won the 48th Costa Rica`s prestigious Coffee Cup (Copa del Cafe) to become the World`s No.1 junior player.
Milojevic, who was seeded No.1 before clinching the title, beat Canada`s Tommy Mylnikov in the final Monday to win the bowl`s 150 points, reports Xinhua.
The Costa Rican competition is considered the second-most important junior (Under-18) tennis tournament in the world by the International Tennis Federation (ITF), after the "junior Grand Slam."
In the women`s category, Russia`s Varvara Fink beat her rival 2-6, 7-6(2), 6-2 to become only the second Russian ever to win the bowl.
Fink`s win was a surprise upset as she entered the tournament seeded sixth but went on to defeat higher-ranked competitors.
Croatia`s Franko Miocic and Chile`s Guillermo Nunez won the men`s doubles title while the women`s doubles was won by Mexico`s Alejandra Cisneros and Victoria Rodriguez.
The Coffee Cup showcases the best young talent in the world with many of its winners turning pro such as Guillermo Vilas, Ivan Lendl and the Swiss maestro Roger Federer, as well as Andrea Holikova, Jana Novotna and Sandra Wasserman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka