Milos Raonic and Vasek Pospisil to meet in all-Canadian final
Washington: Milos Raonic and Vasek Pospisil will meet in an all-Canadian final at the Citi Open in Washington on Sunday.
Second seed Raonic did not face a break point and used his dominating serve to beat unseeded American Donald Young 6-4 7-5 at the William H.G. Fitzgerald Tennis Center in an afternoon match on Saturday.
Pospisil, the 13th seed, had to work much harder to get past France’s Richard Gasquet 6-7(5) 6-3 7-5 in an evening encounter that stretched for nearly two hours, 30 minutes.
It was a long day for Wimbledon doubles champion Pospisil, who had to return to the hardcourt early in the afternoon to play the third set of his quarter-final that was delayed by rain on Friday night.
He won that match 6-7(4) 6-3 6-4 against Colombian Santiago Giraldo, and also started his semi by losing a first set tiebreak to sixth seed Gasquet, before fighting back to prevail in a match that hung in the balance until almost the very end.
Pospisil trailed 0-3 in the third set before breaking his opponent twice.
Earlier, world number seven Raonic, in his first event since reaching the Wimbledon semi-finals, broke Young at the end of each set to advance to the 11th ATP final of his career, the first this year.
"I did the most important things,” the 23-year-old told reporters. “I took care of my serve. I thought he played really well and I just put that pressure on him in the final games of the set. It paid off.”
Raonic knows his country’s tennis fans will be watching the final closely.
“We’ve set the bar for Canadian tennis what can be expected of future generations,” he said.
On the women’s side, Japan’s Kurumi Nara will meet Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova in the final.
Nara recovered from a terrible start to beat New Zealand’s Marina Erakovic 0-6 6-4 6-4, while sixth seed Kuznetsova bested compatriot Ekaterina Makarova 6-3 6-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared