Monfils finals bid dented by Valencia defeat
Valencia, (Spain): Gael Monfils`s bid for a berth at this month`s World Tour finals suffered a setback when the third seed was upset 7-6, 3-6, 6-4 by unseeded Spaniard Marcel Granollers in the quarter-finals of the Valencia Open on Friday.
Frenchman Monfils must now win the Paris Masters, where he has twice finished runner-up, to secure one of three remaining places in the eight-man, season-ending competition at London`s O2 Arena.
Argentina`s Juan Martin Del Potro, the sixth seed, will try to boost his attempt to claim a London spot later on Friday when he plays unseeded American Sam Querrey.
Friday`s two remaining quarter-finals feature top seed and defending champion David Ferrer against Nikolay Davydenko and former world number one Juan Carlos Ferrero against Argentine wildcard Juan Monaco.
Spaniard Ferrer, the world number five, has already qualified for the Nov. 20-27 finals along with Novak Djokovic, Rafa Nadal, Andy Murray and Roger Federer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender