Monfils finals bid dented by Valencia defeat
Valencia, (Spain): Gael Monfils`s bid for a berth at this month`s World Tour finals suffered a setback when the third seed was upset 7-6, 3-6, 6-4 by unseeded Spaniard Marcel Granollers in the quarter-finals of the Valencia Open on Friday.
Frenchman Monfils must now win the Paris Masters, where he has twice finished runner-up, to secure one of three remaining places in the eight-man, season-ending competition at London`s O2 Arena.
Argentina`s Juan Martin Del Potro, the sixth seed, will try to boost his attempt to claim a London spot later on Friday when he plays unseeded American Sam Querrey.
Friday`s two remaining quarter-finals feature top seed and defending champion David Ferrer against Nikolay Davydenko and former world number one Juan Carlos Ferrero against Argentine wildcard Juan Monaco.
Spaniard Ferrer, the world number five, has already qualified for the Nov. 20-27 finals along with Novak Djokovic, Rafa Nadal, Andy Murray and Roger Federer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!