Monte Carlo Masters: Novak Djokovic ends Rafael Nadal`s eight year reign
Monte Carlo: World number one Novak Djokovic ended Rafael Nadal`s eight year reign at the Monte Carlo Masters on Sunday winning 6-2, 7-6 (7/1).
Djokovic, who had twice lost in the final to Nadal, won on his first match point to bring a halt to Nadal`s 46 game winning streak in the tournament.
The defeat was only the second at the event for Nadal, with his first coming as a teenager in 2003.
Nadal, who returned to tennis in February after seven months out with a knee injury, stands 38-6 in clay finals, losing to only three three players - Djokovic (three times) Roger Federer (twice) and Horacio Zeballos (once).
Djokovic had been a doubtful starter this week with an injured ankle but played through the problem to lift the trophy, the 37th of his career and 14th at the Masters 1000 level.
Victory will enhance Djokovic`s prospects of winning next month`s French Open which he has never won.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre