Monte Carlo Masters: Novak Djokovic ends Rafael Nadal`s eight year reign
Monte Carlo: World number one Novak Djokovic ended Rafael Nadal`s eight year reign at the Monte Carlo Masters on Sunday winning 6-2, 7-6 (7/1).
Djokovic, who had twice lost in the final to Nadal, won on his first match point to bring a halt to Nadal`s 46 game winning streak in the tournament.
The defeat was only the second at the event for Nadal, with his first coming as a teenager in 2003.
Nadal, who returned to tennis in February after seven months out with a knee injury, stands 38-6 in clay finals, losing to only three three players - Djokovic (three times) Roger Federer (twice) and Horacio Zeballos (once).
Djokovic had been a doubtful starter this week with an injured ankle but played through the problem to lift the trophy, the 37th of his career and 14th at the Masters 1000 level.
Victory will enhance Djokovic`s prospects of winning next month`s French Open which he has never won.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you