Monte Carlo Masters: Novak Djokovic ends Rafael Nadal`s eight year reign
Monte Carlo: World number one Novak Djokovic ended Rafael Nadal`s eight year reign at the Monte Carlo Masters on Sunday winning 6-2, 7-6 (7/1).
Djokovic, who had twice lost in the final to Nadal, won on his first match point to bring a halt to Nadal`s 46 game winning streak in the tournament.
The defeat was only the second at the event for Nadal, with his first coming as a teenager in 2003.
Nadal, who returned to tennis in February after seven months out with a knee injury, stands 38-6 in clay finals, losing to only three three players - Djokovic (three times) Roger Federer (twice) and Horacio Zeballos (once).
Djokovic had been a doubtful starter this week with an injured ankle but played through the problem to lift the trophy, the 37th of his career and 14th at the Masters 1000 level.
Victory will enhance Djokovic`s prospects of winning next month`s French Open which he has never won.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY