Murray beats Wawrinka in World Tennis Championship quarter-finals
Johannesburg: Wimbledon champion Andy Murray has recorded his first victory since returning to action after a three-month injury lay-off by beating Swiss player Stanislas Wawrinka 6-3, 6-4 in Abu Dhabi on Friday.
The British number one had back surgery in September and did not play again until he lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the quarter-finals of the Mudabala World Tennis Championship exhibition tournament on Thursday.
According to Sport24, Wawrinka lost to David Ferrer on the same day and the match between him and Murray was to decide who would finish fifth in the unofficial three-day tournament.
Murray will next make the short trip over to Doha where he will play in the AFP season-opener tournament, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- French PM `open` to interim ban on foreign funding of mosques
- Nirbhaya case: Convicts' lawyer challenges 'iron rod' theory, announces Rs 10 lakh reward for anyone who proves it
- Surprise! Bhagyashree looks amazingly hot in these latest PICS
- Here's how you can safely lose weight in one month without exercise!
- Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar blames Delhi's Arvind Kejriwal for Gurgaon jam – Know why