Murray beats Wawrinka in World Tennis Championship quarter-finals
Johannesburg: Wimbledon champion Andy Murray has recorded his first victory since returning to action after a three-month injury lay-off by beating Swiss player Stanislas Wawrinka 6-3, 6-4 in Abu Dhabi on Friday.
The British number one had back surgery in September and did not play again until he lost to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in the quarter-finals of the Mudabala World Tennis Championship exhibition tournament on Thursday.
According to Sport24, Wawrinka lost to David Ferrer on the same day and the match between him and Murray was to decide who would finish fifth in the unofficial three-day tournament.
Murray will next make the short trip over to Doha where he will play in the AFP season-opener tournament, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster