Murray bows out, Nadal advances
Rome: Third seed Andy Murray pulled out of the Rome Masters due to an injury as Rafael Nadal advanced to the third round.
Fifth seed Nadal beat local hope Fabio Fognini 6-1, 6-3 to kick off his quest for his seventh ATP title of the season winning 74 percent of his service points and breaking his 25th-ranked opponent five times Wednesday.
Murray required treatment for a lower back injury midway through the second set of the match against Marcel Granollers. Then he decided to retire.
‘I pulled out because there is a good chance I wouldn`t be playing tomorrow. We`ll have to wait for Paris. I`d be very surprised if I were playing in Paris,’ he said.
The French Open is to begin May 26.
Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka also pulled out before his match against Alexandr Dolgopolov with a minor thigh injury.
World No.24 Jerzy Janowicz ripped off his shirt after beating eighth-ranked Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-4, 7-6.
In women`s singles, second seed Maria Sharapova beat Garbine Muguruza of Spain 6-2, 6-2 while China`s Li Na went through with a 6-3, 6-1 win over compatriot Zheng Jie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31