Murray bows out, Nadal advances
Rome: Third seed Andy Murray pulled out of the Rome Masters due to an injury as Rafael Nadal advanced to the third round.
Fifth seed Nadal beat local hope Fabio Fognini 6-1, 6-3 to kick off his quest for his seventh ATP title of the season winning 74 percent of his service points and breaking his 25th-ranked opponent five times Wednesday.
Murray required treatment for a lower back injury midway through the second set of the match against Marcel Granollers. Then he decided to retire.
‘I pulled out because there is a good chance I wouldn`t be playing tomorrow. We`ll have to wait for Paris. I`d be very surprised if I were playing in Paris,’ he said.
The French Open is to begin May 26.
Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka also pulled out before his match against Alexandr Dolgopolov with a minor thigh injury.
World No.24 Jerzy Janowicz ripped off his shirt after beating eighth-ranked Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-4, 7-6.
In women`s singles, second seed Maria Sharapova beat Garbine Muguruza of Spain 6-2, 6-2 while China`s Li Na went through with a 6-3, 6-1 win over compatriot Zheng Jie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?