Murray makes it through, Federer, too
Andy Murray avoided another early exit at Indian Wells on Saturday, rallying for a three-set victory over Lukas Rosol in his opening match at the ATP Masters and WTA hardcourt event.
Murray, the Wimbledon Champion who has yet to reach a final since undergoing back surgery in September, asserted himself in the second and third sets for a 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory over the 49th-ranked Czech.
World number one Rafael Nadal was waiting in the wings to launch his title defence with a second-round night match against Czech Radek Stepanek.
In the meantime, a bevy of big names moved into the third round.
Four-time champion Roger Federer got past France`s Paul-Henri Mathieu 6-2, 7-6 (7/5).
Former world number one Federer has fallen to eighth in the world and is seeded seventh here.
But despite the decline in his ranking, the Swiss great arrived in the California desert fresh from claiming a 78th career ATP title in Dubai last week, his first title in nine months sparking anticipation he could add to the Indian Wells titles he won from 2004-2006 and in 2012.
Fellow Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka -- seeded third in his first tournament since his surprise Australian Open triumph -- downed Croatian Ivo Karlovic 6-3, 7-5.
Women`s top seed Li Na, who won her second Grand Slam title at the Australian Open in January, won an all-Chinese clash with Zheng Jie 6-1, 7-5, and Slovakian Dominika Cibulkova, runner-up to Li in Melbourne, advanced with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Croatian Donna Vekic.
For Murray, it was a bit of a battle in the early going, something he`s familiar with at Indian Wells.
Murray reached the final on the hardcourts of the California desert in 2009, but he had lost his openers in two of the past three years.
"Here I have always kind of struggled at the beginning of the tournament," Murray said. "I don`t know if it`s the conditions or whatever reason it is, but I have never really started this tournament that well.
"I think it`s important sometimes to think about it, because when you`re not expecting it to happen and then it does, that`s when it can take you by surprise and you might panic a little bit or worry.
"Today, I was a set and a break down. I got broken three times in a row at the end of the first set, beginning of the second. You know, I just kind of kept going and found a way to win, which is always the most important thing."
Rosol used his booming forehand to good effect in the opening set, but was eventually undone by 51 unforced errors.
"When the ball is sitting there, he hits it extremely well," Murray said. "He hits it hard. He puts pressure on you.
"In the second and third sets, I was dictating a lot more of the points. I would use my forehand a lot more. I was a lot more active on my feet in between shots to look for the right shots."
Murray, seeded fifth, next faces exciting young Czech Jiri Vesely, a 6-1, 2-6, 6-1 winner over Spain`s Pablo Andujar.
Elsewhere in Murray`s quarter of the draw, Colombia`s Allejandro Falla came back from 2-5 down in the third set to beat 18th-seeded Jerzy Janowicz of Poland 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (7/5), saving one match point on the way.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'