Nadal advances to third round of Barcelona Open; Ferrer crashes out
Johannesburg: World No.1 Rafael Nadal has successfully began his bid for a record ninth title at the Barcelona Open by moving ahead to the third round, while fellow Spaniard David Ferrer crashed out of the tournament on Wednesday.
The top-seeded Nadal put his loss last week in the Monte Carlo quarter-finals to Ferrer out of his mind by beating compatriot Albert Ramos 7-6 (7/2), 6-4 in a match lasting just over two hours.
According to Sport24, Nadal`s second-round win lifted his record at the event to 41-1 and he defeated the 103-ranked Ramos for the second time in the tournament after a 2013 quarter-final, adding that he will next meet Croatian Ivan Dodig, who hammered Spanish 13th seed Feliciano Lopez 6-1, 6-4.
Meanwhile, Ferrer, who was also defeated at the same stage last year by Dmitry Tursunov, lost 6-4, 6-2 to 55th-ranked Russian Teimuraz Gabashvili , who is playing in Barcelona for the eighth time and had never got further than the second round, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet