Nadal beats pal Nalbandian to make US Open last 16
New York: Defending champion Rafael Nadal reached the US Open last 16 with a 7-6 (7/5), 6-1, 7-5 victory over gutsy close friend David Nalbandian on Sunday.
But it was an uneven performance from the second-seeded Spaniard who endured a first set hiccup, when he trailed the 76th-ranked Argentine 3-5, and was broken when he served for the match in the ninth game of the third.
Up next for the 10-time Grand Slam title winner is Gilles Muller of Luxembourg, who eased past Russia`s Igor Kunitsyn 6-1, 6-4, 6-4, for a place in the quarter-finals.
"It was a tough day. David is a fantastic player and a close friend who has had a tough time with injuries," said Nadal.
"The first set was key when I came back when he was serving for the set. I am happy because I played my best match of the tournament so far."
Nalbandian, who reached three in the world in 2006 before his career was stalled by hip and groin surgery, went into the the tie on a muggy Arthur Ashe Stadium with a 2-2 career record against the Spaniard.
And he was far from unbowed in the opening set when a game plan of all-out attack, which witnessed 18 winners and 23 unforced errors, almost paid dividends before Nadal played a more composed tiebreak.
That gruelling effort took an immediate toll on the 29-year-old Nalbandian, who was broken three times in the second set.
Nalbandian stopped the rot with a surprise break in the opening game of the third, Nadal`s concentration not helped by being hit with a time code violation by umpire Pascal Maria for taking too long between points.
The Spaniard, bristling at the decision, took out his frustrations by breaking back before immediately calling a medical time-out for treatment on his blistered right foot.
Nadal was another break to the good on his way to a 5-2 lead before the dogged Nalbandian clawed back to 5-5, boosted by a break when the world number two served for the match at 5-3.
But the second seed held for 6-5 and claimed victory in the 12th game when Nalbandian, whose final error total climbed to 60, served up a seventh double fault.
Later Sunday, British fourth seed Andy Murray, the 2008 runner-up, takes a 5-0 career record into his third round clash with Spanish left-hander Feliciano Lopez.
The winner of that tie will face either Argentine 24th seed Juan Ignacio Chela, a 2007 quarter-finalist, or American wildcard Donald Young, a former world junior number one bidding to reach the last 16 of a Grand Slam for the first time.
Argentine 18th seed Juan Martin del Potro, the 2009 champion, faces French 12th seed Gilles Simon while 2003 winner Andy Roddick, the American 21st seed, takes on French wildcard Julien Benneteau.
The day`s other third round matches sees an all-American clash between 28th seed John Isner and Alex Bogomolov while Spanish fifth seed David Ferrer, a semi-finalist in 2007, meets German 26th seed Florian Mayer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!