Nadal in umpire blast after line-call row
Melbourne: Rafael Nadal urged chair umpires to take more responsibility after a row over a line call at a crucial moment of his four-set Australian Open battle with Tomas Berdych on Tuesday.
The Spanish second seed confronted chair umpire Carlos Bernardes near the end of the first set tiebreak, urging him to take action over a ball which he believed had gone out mid-rally.
The fuming Nadal was rebuffed -- and he lost the set on the very next point when Berdych sent down an ace. But Nadal fought back to win the quarterfinal 6-7 (5/7), 7-6 (8/6), 6-4, 6-3 in a marathon 4hr 16min.
Afterwards Nadal, who now goes into a mouth-watering semifinal with Roger Federer, suggested umpires had grown too reliant on Hawk-Eye line technology, and should do more than simply call out the scores.
"I`m not happy. They are there to do something, not just to call 15-all or 15-30 all the match. That`s the only thing I`m unhappy about," he said.
"I think that with Hawk-Eye, the umpires have much less pressure than before," Nadal added.
"Carlos is a fantastic umpire, one of the best on tour. But for everybody the work now in matches is much easier. They don`t feel as much pressure as before, because at the end, if you want to stop, you stop."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH