Nadal not interested in celebrity coaching
Abu Dhabi: Rafael Nadal has no intention of joining the dizzying coaching merry-go-round which has seen Novak Djokovic hire Boris Becker in just one of a raft of changes ahead of the 2014 season.
World number one Nadal has been coached by his uncle Toni since childhood and it`s a partnership which has brought 13 Grand Slam titles.
Djokovic, meanwhile, stunned the sport by hiring Becker, one of a host of former Grand Slam winners from the 1980s and 1990s to be handed new leases of life over the winter.
Roger Federer has been hitting with Stefan Edberg, Richard Gasquet has taken on Sergi Bruguera, Marin Cilic has renewed his partnership with Goran Ivanisevic while Kei Nishikori signed up Michael Chang.
Undoubtedly, they were moves inspired by Andy Murray`s success with Ivan Lendl which has yielded the 2012 US Open title and 2013 Wimbledon triumph.
"It is great to have a great champion in tour games as they bring great charisma to the game. It will be great to have Ivan and Boris around this season. It is a good thing and will do positive things to the tour," Nadal told the Gulf News.
"However, I will stick to my team. I always feel when I play bad, it is my fault and when I`m winning I`m doing the right things. I had success in my career with the same team.
"I had good and worst moments with the same team. I understand if anything goes wrong, nobody is responsible more than me."
Nadal begins his season on Friday when he faces compatriot David Ferrer, who has just split with his long-time coach Javier Piles, at the Mudabala World Tennis Championships in Abu Dhabi.
World number two Djokovic takes on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog