Nadal opens against Gasquet in Davis Cup semifinal
Cordoba (Spain): Rafael Nadal will kick off Spain`s Davis Cup semifinal bid when he takes on France`s Richard Gasquet in Friday`s opening rubber.
The Spanish are favourites with two top five ranked players in Nadal and David Ferrer as they bid to reach the final for the third time in four years in Cordoba`s bullring.
France, runners-up last year, are hoping to follow on from their 5-0 whitewash over Spain in last year`s World Group quarterfinals.
US Open runner-up Nadal and Gasquet have played nine times but the 15th-ranked Frenchman has never come out on top against the world number two.
Fifth-ranked Ferrer takes on Simon, ranked 11, in Friday`s second rubber.
The Spaniard leads 2-1 in previous meetings, with both coming on clay, but Simon won their last meeting on a hard court in Cincinnati this year.
Spanish doubles specialists Feliciano Lopez and Fernando Verdasco are scheduled to face Michael Llodra and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Saturday`s doubles rubber.
Friday (from 10:00 GMT):
Rafael Nadal (ESP) vs Richard Gasquet (FRA)
David Ferrer (ESP) vs Gilles Simon (FRA)
Feliciano Lopez/Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga/Michael Llodra (FRA)
Rafael Nadal (ESP) vs Gilles Simon (FRA)
David Ferrer (ESP) vs Richard Gasquet (FRA)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed