Nadal overhauls Berdych to set up Federer semi-final
Melbourne: A fired-up Rafa Nadal survived a huge scare from big-hitting Czech Tomas Berdych at the Australian Open on Tuesday to prevail 6-7, 7-6, 6-4, 6-3 and set up a mouthwatering semi-final with great rival Roger Federer.
A set down and facing set point in the second, Nadal dug himself out of a cavernous hole to overhaul the tall Czech in a taxing four-hour tussle under the lights at a frenzied Rod Laver Arena.
Dashing from corner to corner in a lime-green shirt, 2009 champion Nadal met seventh seed Berdych`s power game with his own brute force and picked him off repeatedly when he charged cavalier-like to the net.
The pressure told and Berdych surrendered a decisive break in the opening game of the fourth set and another when serving to stay in the match to allow the world number two to keep his bid for an 11th grand slam crown alive.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Manipur HSLC Result 2016, BSEM HSLC Class 10th Results 2016, Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016 to be declared on May 24
- Sensex falls for 4th day on Fed rate hike caution
- Divyanka Tripathi, Vivek Dahiya to marry on July 8
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!
- Open spaces in Delhi, NCR could be used by anti-national elements, say security agencies