Nadal through to Rio Open quarterfinals
Rio de Janeiro: World No.1 Rafael Nadal advanced to the quarterfinals of the Rio Open with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over fellow Spaniard Albert Montanes.
The 27-year-old will now face the winner of the second-round match between Albert Ramos and Joao Sousa, reported Xinhua.
Nadal in the match Thursday showed none of the effects of a back problem that sidelined him after his loss to Stanislas Wawrinka in the Australian Open final last month.
Earlier, third-seeded Fabio Fognini of Italy reached the last eight with a 7-6 (1), 4-6, 6-3 victory over Uruguayan Pablo Cuevas while Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine beat Argentine Facundo Bagnis 6-7 (4), 6-2, 7-6 (4).
In the women`s draw, Japan`s Kurumi Nara and Lourdes Dominguez Lino of Spain set up a last-eight meeting with wins, while Irina-Camelia Begu of Romania and Brazil`s Teliana Pereira also progressed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan