Nadal through to Rio Open quarterfinals
Rio de Janeiro: World No.1 Rafael Nadal advanced to the quarterfinals of the Rio Open with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over fellow Spaniard Albert Montanes.
The 27-year-old will now face the winner of the second-round match between Albert Ramos and Joao Sousa, reported Xinhua.
Nadal in the match Thursday showed none of the effects of a back problem that sidelined him after his loss to Stanislas Wawrinka in the Australian Open final last month.
Earlier, third-seeded Fabio Fognini of Italy reached the last eight with a 7-6 (1), 4-6, 6-3 victory over Uruguayan Pablo Cuevas while Alexandr Dolgopolov of Ukraine beat Argentine Facundo Bagnis 6-7 (4), 6-2, 7-6 (4).
In the women`s draw, Japan`s Kurumi Nara and Lourdes Dominguez Lino of Spain set up a last-eight meeting with wins, while Irina-Camelia Begu of Romania and Brazil`s Teliana Pereira also progressed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai