Nadal to be crowned World No.1 as Berdych retires in China Open semi-final
Beijing: Spanish player Rafael Nadal has ensured he will be crowned new World No.1 in the ATP rankings next week after his opponent Tomas Berdych retired in their semi-final match of the China Open, when Nadal was leading 4-2 in the first set.
Berdych had managed to break back Nadal after losing serve in the first game but he again lost serve in the fifth game of the set.
Nadal would now be No.1 in the ATP rankings even if he fails to win the China Open and if current World No.1 Novak Djokovic wins the tournament, because the Serbian player is the defending champion and therefore, has points to defend.
Djokovic plays David Ferrer of Spain in the second semi-final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?