Nadia Petrova withdraws from Australian Open after mother`s death
Sydney: Russian tennis star Nadia Petrova has reportedly pulled out of the upcoming Australian Open in January after her mother died in a car accident.
Petrova`s mother Nadezhda Ilyina, an Olympic athletics bronze medallist, died in a car crash near Moscow on December 7.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the Australian Open organisers offered their condolences to Petrova, who was one of the two players withdrawing from the tournament.
Also out of the season-opening grand slam in Melbourne is another top Russian player, Maria Kirilenko, due to injury.
Ilyina, a successful 400-metre runner, won a bronze in the 4x400 relay in the 1976 Olympics in Montreal and had also held the USSR record in both the 400 metres and the 4x400 metres relay as well as the world record for 400 metres indoors, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'