Nalbandian fined for throwing water at tournament staff
Melbourne: Argentina`s David Nalbandian was fined $8,000 for throwing water at an Australian Open staff member following his controversial second round loss to John Isner on Wednesday.
The 30-year-old Nalbandian was fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour following the match. Officials said he had thrown water at a member of tournament staff.
Nalbandian who lost the marathon match 4-6, 6-3, 2-6, 7-6, 10-8 to Isner, railed against umpire Kader Nouni following the match after the Frenchman overturned a point in the fifth set then refused to allow him to challenge the call through the Hawk-eye technology because he had taken too long to do so.
"I mean, it`s ridiculous playing this kind of tournament with this kind of umpires," Nalbandian said after the match. "What did the ATP do for this?
"I mean, can you be that stupid to do that in that moment?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics