Nalbandian fined for throwing water at tournament staff
Melbourne: Argentina`s David Nalbandian was fined $8,000 for throwing water at an Australian Open staff member following his controversial second round loss to John Isner on Wednesday.
The 30-year-old Nalbandian was fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour following the match. Officials said he had thrown water at a member of tournament staff.
Nalbandian who lost the marathon match 4-6, 6-3, 2-6, 7-6, 10-8 to Isner, railed against umpire Kader Nouni following the match after the Frenchman overturned a point in the fifth set then refused to allow him to challenge the call through the Hawk-eye technology because he had taken too long to do so.
"I mean, it`s ridiculous playing this kind of tournament with this kind of umpires," Nalbandian said after the match. "What did the ATP do for this?
"I mean, can you be that stupid to do that in that moment?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'