Navratilova backs Serena to become `greatest ever`
Washington: Tennis legend Martina Navratilova has claimed 15-times Grand Slam champion Serena Williams can break all the records in the game to become the greatest female player ever.
Seeded third at the Australian Open, Williams is looking to land her 16th Grand Slam crown as she chases down Margaret Court`s all-time record of 24 titles and Steffi Graf`s Open era haul of 22 after claiming the Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles last year in addition to winning singles and doubles gold medals at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The 31-year-old Williams, who won her first grand slam title at Flushing Meadows in 1999, might have won more events had she not been hampered by injury, CNN.com reports.
18-times Grand Slam champion Navratilova said when at her best Serena has been the best player in female tennis over last ten years.
Navratilova added that Serena just hasn`t been at her best very often but last year when she played after she lost in the first round of the French Open, she was really motivated by that defeat.
Navratilova added that Serena is in a much better physical shape now and even her life outside the court is good, adding even though the world number 3 is 31, she has played half the matches she had played when she was of her age. The American tennis great further added Serena is fairly young and she is well past her injuries and believes if Serena stays physically fit for coming years then she would easily break all the records.
Williams has picked up five Australian Open titles, won five Wimbledons, claimed four U.S. Open triumphs and one French Open win. Then there was the golden year of 2002 where Serena won all four major tournaments on her way to the career grand slam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video