Navratilova backs Serena to become `greatest ever`
Washington: Tennis legend Martina Navratilova has claimed 15-times Grand Slam champion Serena Williams can break all the records in the game to become the greatest female player ever.
Seeded third at the Australian Open, Williams is looking to land her 16th Grand Slam crown as she chases down Margaret Court`s all-time record of 24 titles and Steffi Graf`s Open era haul of 22 after claiming the Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles last year in addition to winning singles and doubles gold medals at the London 2012 Olympic Games.
The 31-year-old Williams, who won her first grand slam title at Flushing Meadows in 1999, might have won more events had she not been hampered by injury, CNN.com reports.
18-times Grand Slam champion Navratilova said when at her best Serena has been the best player in female tennis over last ten years.
Navratilova added that Serena just hasn`t been at her best very often but last year when she played after she lost in the first round of the French Open, she was really motivated by that defeat.
Navratilova added that Serena is in a much better physical shape now and even her life outside the court is good, adding even though the world number 3 is 31, she has played half the matches she had played when she was of her age. The American tennis great further added Serena is fairly young and she is well past her injuries and believes if Serena stays physically fit for coming years then she would easily break all the records.
Williams has picked up five Australian Open titles, won five Wimbledons, claimed four U.S. Open triumphs and one French Open win. Then there was the golden year of 2002 where Serena won all four major tournaments on her way to the career grand slam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH