Navratilova taught me healthy lifestyle: Leander Paes
Mumbai: The oldest player to clinch a Grand Slam in Open era, Indian tennis ace Leander Paes on Friday credited his former mixed doubles partner Martina Navratilova for helping him elongate his international career by adopting a "clean lifestyle".
"Playing with Martina for many many years, I have learnt a lot. She is obviously a big inspiration for me to continue to remodel my game and stay healthy. I have also learnt how to live a clean lifestyle and be productive towards my tennis," Paes told reporters on his return after winning the men`s doubles trophy at the US Open.
Paes and Navratilova together won two Grand Slam titles, besides finishing runners-up on two other occasions.
He became the oldest man to win a Grand Slam title on Sunday when he along with his Czech partner Radek Stepanek won the men`s doubles title at the US Open.
Enduring a tough season this year, Paes was determined to excel at the last Grand Slam of the year.
"I had no idea that I was the first person in the Open era to win a grand slam at 40. What I did know was that this whole year had been such a rough one - both on and off the court. It has been a very hard year. Coming into American summer, I knew I had to do really well.
"My first week in the Canadian Open in Montreal did not go well and the week in Cincinnati was average (got through to the quarterfinals). So I added an extra tournament (Winston-Salem Open) and played with a new partner called Daniel Nestor and we won that one. That seems to have kickstarted the rhythm," he said.
The US Open has always been a happy hunting ground for the Indian tennis star and he was relieved to have won there after three years.
"In the US Open, I have done really well over the years. I won the junior singles title way back in 1991. For the last seven years, my performance in mixed doubles and men`s doubles is fairly solid at the US Open. I was happy to get the hard court and humid conditions which we Indians are used to," said Paes, who has eight men`s doubles trophies at the Majors and six mixed doubles crowns.
While dedicating his win to the people who have nurtured his career, Paes said: "Everytime I step on to the court is to honour my team, my father who has been nurturing me as a human being as well as an athlete for so many years.
"For my coaches Richard Leach, Sanjay Singh and Dave O`Meara and the whole team who has looked after me for so many years. They are the ones who I play for and look to honour."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door