Newly crowned Oz Open champ Azarenka ‘hungry’ for more
Melbourne: Newly crowned World No.1 tennis ace Victoria Azarenka is now looking forward to winning many more Grand Slam titles.
She routed Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-0 in the Australian Open finals to win her maiden Grand Slam title, a daily reports.
She has won four out of 10 career titles on clay and also qualified for the French Open quarter-finals and subsequently the Wimbledon semi- finals in 2011.
"I played really good on clay and on grass last year. I had great results and I had great results on hardcourt. I like to adapt. So I think it`s about preparation and adaptation,” she said.
"Of course, I don`t want to stop here. I have a bigger motivation right now to go out there and to collect those big, big trophies. That self-belief is even bigger right now that I`ve done it and I can go out and do it again. I`m really, really hungry for victories ... I feel like there is no limit, really," she added
Azarenka, who made her WTA Tour debut at just 13, has struggled mentally to deal with all the expectations.
She even considered quitting the sport at just 21 after failing to reach the semi-finals of the 2010 season-ending championships in Doha, but a conversation with her grandmother strengthened her resolve to transform herself physically.
Azarenka has vowed to continue improving "every aspect" of her game.
"People sometimes don`t realise their capacity of what they can do and sometimes they think they can`t do anymore, but you can," Azarenka said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown