Nicolas Mahut beats Lleyton Hewitt for Hall of Fame title
Newport: French wild card Nicolas Mahut rallied from a set down to defeat Australia`s Lleyton Hewitt Sunday in the final at the Hall of Fame Championships.
Mahut battled back from a first set loss to take a 5-7, 7-5, 6-3 victory over the 2012 runner-up Hewitt on center court.
Mahut breezed past American Michael Russell 6-2, 6-2 in the semis earlier Sunday to reach the final and became the first Frenchman to claim the Newport title since Fabrice Santoro five years ago.
The 31-year-old improved to 2-2 all-time in title matches on the ATP Tour. He clinched his first career ATP title last month at `s-Hertogenbosch.
Hewitt ousted two-time reigning champion John Isner earlier Sunday in a rematch of last year`s final to advance to the title match for a second consecutive year.
Hewitt, who was seeded fourth, took the first set from the Frenchman but was unable to close the deal.
With the loss, Hewitt falls to 28-17 overall in ATP Tour finals. He is 7-2 in finals on grass.
Mahut, who had lost the only two previous contests with the Aussie, collected USD 78,000 in prize money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic.in 10th Results 2016 CBSE Board: CBSE Class 10th X Exam Result 2016 to be announced today on May 28 at 2 PM
- 10th X Results 2016 CBSE Board: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in 10th X class exam result 2016 CBSE Board to be announced soon
- Track your lost Android phone in these steps; remotely lock or erase data
- MASTI full on! Parineeti Chopra flaunts ample strength on the sets of 'Meri Pyaari Bindu' – Watch
- Royal couple Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor Khan spotted on the streets of London! – Watch video