Nishikori becomes first Japanese man in top 10
Madrid: Kei Nishikori ensured he will become the first ever Japanese player to make the top 10 of the ATP rankings with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Spain`s Feliciano Lopez to make the Madrid Masters semi-finals on Friday.
Currently ranked 12th in the world, Nishikori will move into the top 10 when the latest rankings are released on Monday thanks to 13-match winning streak.
The 24-year-old reached the semi-finals of the Miami Masters in March before having to withdraw due to a groin problem and won his first ever tournament on clay on his return from injury at the Barcelona Open two weeks ago.
"It was a big goal for me to get to the top 10, but it is only one week for now so I have to keep playing better tennis to stay in the top 10," he said.
"My goal is not just to be there for one week so hopefully I can keep that ranking for a while."
Nishikori was bothered by a back injury throughout the second set against Lopez.
However, he is hopeful of being fit to face David Ferrer in the last four on Saturday.
"It should be ok. I don`t know for sure, I only have half a day to recover so it`s going to be hard but hopefully I will be ok."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic