Nishikori, Tsonga, Verdasco enter second round of Madrid Open
Johannesburg: Japan`s Kei Nishikori, American John Isner, Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Spaniard Fernando Verdasco have sailed into the second round of the Madrid Open on the men`s side with their respective victories in the opening round.
Nishikori maintained his recent fine form going after winning the Barcelona Open last week with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Croatian Ivan Dodig to set up a meeting with Spaniard Guillermo Garcia-Lopez in the second round.
According to Sport24, ninth-seeded Isner defeated Russia`s Teymuraz Gabashvili while Tsonga faced a stiffer test against fellow Frenchman Edouard Roger-Vasselin, but also came through in three sets 6-3, 4-6, 6-3.
Meanwhile, Verdasco beat Italian Andreas Seppi 6-3, 7-6 (7/3) to enter the second round, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss