No end to Somdev`s woes, crashes out of Barcelona Open
Barcelona (Spain): Somdev Devvarman`s lean patch extended today as the top-singles player of the country lost his fifth straight first-round match on the ATP tour when he bowed out of Barcelona Open following a defeat against Martin Klizan, here.
Somdev, on the edge of the top-100, lost 2-6 4-6 to his Slovakia rival, ranked 108, in one hour and 18 minutes.
Since winning Delhi Open Challenger tournament, Somdev has won only one match on the Tour and that too when Juan Marti del Potro had retired mid-way in the Dubai event.
Somdev did win two matches in the Davis Cup early this month but even in those victories the Indian was stretched by the lower-ranked Korea players.
It was a fateful start for the Indian in the euro 2,127,035 clay court ATP 500 tournament, as he was broken in the very first game of the match.
He did put up a fight in the second set but the day just did not belong to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- DNA: Analysis of the plight of Onion farmers in India
- Manipur HSLC Results 2016 : (manresult.nic.in) Manipur Board HSLC (10th Class) Results 2016, BSEM 10th (HSLC) Results to be declared today
- President seeks more information on NEET Ordinance
- Italy requests SC to enforce UN court verdict, allow marine to return
- Six hurt in communal clash in Gujarat
- Hearing in coal case involving Manmohan Singh deferred