No London `divorce` for China`s Li
China`s top tennis player Li Na has blasted media scrutiny of her Olympic preparations by insisting she will not be giving her hen-pecked husband coach the boot for this year`s London Games.
The reigning French Open champion, who has always had an uneasy relationship with the Chinese media, will stick with Jiang Shan and not hire a foreign coach, she told the China Daily.
"I don`t know why the media are so interested," said the outspoken 30-year-old. "Maybe you are not confident in Jiang and my current team.”
"Up to now, I haven`t had any intention of recruiting a foreign coach," said Li, who often pokes fun at her husband in interviews. "I hope the media won`t ask about it again."
Jiang guided Li to the final of last year`s Australian Open, where she lost a tough three-setter to Belgium`s Kim Clijsters.
Danish Fed Cup captain Michael Mortensen took over and helped her win the French Open title but Jiang was reinstated after the U.S. Open.
Li`s form dipped after becoming Asia`s first grand slam winner in Paris, although the player expressed confidence ahead of the Olympics.
"Compared with reaching the final at the Australian Open last year, people may feel a little bit disappointed about my results this year," said the world number eight.
"But I think my form is okay right now and I have no regrets so far."
Li has planned her year around London.
"After the French Open, I won`t play any matches until Wimbledon," she said. "After Wimbledon, I will go back to China for two days and then see my doctor in Germany.”
"Then, I will go to London one week before the Olympics to adjust to the grass court."
The Games, which take place from July 27 to August 12, will be Li`s third Olympics.
"It might be my last Olympic Games, so I don`t want to have any regrets," said Li, who failed to win a medal after losing the third-fourth playoff match on home soil at the 2008 Beijing Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video