Novak Djokovic calls for upgrading Dubai Duty Open as ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event
Abu Dhabi: World number one Novak Djokovic has urged the authorities to upgrade the Dubai Duty Free Men``s Open to an ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event in future.
Djokovic said there is not much to say except the fact that it``s elected for last nine years as the best tournament in the world in series of 500, adding it says enough about the quality of this tournament.
Djokovic added you have always at least four, five players from the top-10 coming here and always entertaining weeks of tennis with the women``s the week before and then men``s back to back, have over 100,000 people coming to watch, Gulfnews.com reports The Serbian ace further said all these facts he thinks are saying enough about the quality of the tournament that they``re organising.
Djokovic bagged his fourth title here with a 7-5, 6-3 win over third seed Tomas Berdych late on Saturday. Besides the four Grand Slams, the ATP World Tour consists of nine ATP World Tour Masters 1000 series, another 11 as ATP World Tour 500 events and the remaining 41 as ATP World Tour 250 tournaments during a season.
Upgrading any of the tournaments necessitates fulfilling certain criteria and prerequisites laid down by the ATP and world governing body, the International Tennis Federation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details