Novak Djokovic into Paris Masters semis
Paris: Novak Djokovic swept into the semi-finals of the Paris Masters on Friday with a rapid-fire 6-1, 6-4 win over Stanislas Wawrinka.
In the first of the quarter-finals, the Serbian second seed got off to the perfect start with a break in the second game to lead 3-0 and he wrapped up the first set at 6-1 after just 26 minutes with Wawrinka struggling to find his range off both flanks.
The Swiss seventh seed did have his chances early in the second set, but failed to put away any of the four break points he had in the second game.
Two games later he had another chance to break but once again came up short and he immediately paid the price as Djokovic pounced on the Swiss player`s errors to take a 4-3 lead.
The Serb served out for the win, Wawrinka ceding match point with a backhand drive that sailed marginally wide.
Djokovic will next play the winner of the match between Roger Federer and Juan Martin del Potro for a place in Sunday`s final.
For Wawrinka, the consolation was that he had already clinched his first ever place in next week`s ATP World Tour Finals in London.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city