Olga Puchkova upsets Venus Williams in Brazil Tennis Cup
Florianopolis (Brazil): Unseeded Russian Olga Puchkova upset former world No.1 Venus Williams of the US 4-6, 6-4, 7-5 to reach the final of the Brazil Tennis Cup.
The world No.109 will meet Monica Niculescu in the final after the 75th-ranked Romanian swept aside seventh-seed Kristina Mladenovic of France 6-0, 6-2.
Playing in her first tournament since losing to Maria Sharapova in the third round of the Australian Open in January, Williams started strongly against Puchkova before succumbing to a series of unforced errors and double faults.
"I did all I could, I`m sorry," Williams told the crowd in a post-match interview. "But I can honestly say that I had a lot of fun in Brazil."
The hardcourt event in the southern Brazilian city of Florianopolis offers $250,000 in total prize money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Bizarre! Saudi man sexually assaults maid, wife faces jail