Olga Puchkova upsets Venus Williams in Brazil Tennis Cup
Florianopolis (Brazil): Unseeded Russian Olga Puchkova upset former world No.1 Venus Williams of the US 4-6, 6-4, 7-5 to reach the final of the Brazil Tennis Cup.
The world No.109 will meet Monica Niculescu in the final after the 75th-ranked Romanian swept aside seventh-seed Kristina Mladenovic of France 6-0, 6-2.
Playing in her first tournament since losing to Maria Sharapova in the third round of the Australian Open in January, Williams started strongly against Puchkova before succumbing to a series of unforced errors and double faults.
"I did all I could, I`m sorry," Williams told the crowd in a post-match interview. "But I can honestly say that I had a lot of fun in Brazil."
The hardcourt event in the southern Brazilian city of Florianopolis offers $250,000 in total prize money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet