Organizers add ‘rest day’ before US Open finals
Johannesburg: The U.S. Open has decided to move the women`s final to Sunday and the men`s final to Monday in 2013, providing in a day of rest ahead of each title match for the first time.
The U.S. Tennis Association (USTA), which runs the Grand Slam event played in New York, announced the changes on Friday but only for next year.
A decision about 2014 and beyond probably will come after the 2013 tournament, USTA spokesman Chris Widmaier said.
Rain forced the USTA to postpone the men`s final from its scheduled Sunday slot to Monday in each of the last five years.
Some top male players complained that the U.S. Open was the sport`s only major tournament that put their semifinals and final on consecutive days.
Friday`s moves end the tradition of what the U.S. Open has called ‘Super Saturday’ since 1984, with both men`s semi-finals and the women`s final all on that day`s schedule at Flushing Meadows, followed by the men`s final on Sunday.
“We listened to the players and understood we needed to accommodate their request for an extra day of rest between the semifinals and final. ... The USTA reached out to many of the top players, player agents as well as the respective tours,” Sport24 quoted Widmaier, as saying.
“So far, everything has been fairly positive. The day of rest is being embraced across the board," he added. "Because of the nature of the game, and to assure a final that can be played at the highest competitive level, you need an extra day of rest. We recognized that,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!