Oudin beats Jankovic in AEGON Classic final
London: World No.208 in tennis Melanie Oudin has completed a surprise win at the AEGON Classic in Birmingham after beating former world No.1 Jelena Jankovic in the women`s singles final.
Oudin swept past her more illustrious Serbian opponent 6-4, 6-2 to win the tournament, which has a prize fund of $220,000 and is a major warm-up event for Wimbledon.
The title was the first WTA singles win for Oudin, who has never been ranked higher than 31st in the world.
It was her second victory against Jankovic in two matches, both on grass, after Oudin beat the Serb 6-7(8), 7-5, 6-2 on her way to reaching the fourth round at Wimbledon in 2009.
Oudin`s best results have so far come on the hard courts of the U.S. Open, where she reached the quarterfinals in 2009 and took last year`s mixed doubles title with Jack Sock.
Jankovic, ranked 22nd in the world, has not won a WTA singles event since Indian Wells in March 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened