Paes and Somdev progress, Divij-Raja pair bows out
New Delhi: Leander Paes and Somdev Devvarman progressed to the doubles quarterfinals in their respective ATP tournaments but the pair of Divij Sharan and Purav Raja went down fighting, on Wednesday.
First to take field was Paes with his Italian partner Daniele Bracciali at the Thailand Open in Bangkok and the second seeded pair pipped James Cerretani and Adil Shamasdin.
The Indo-Italian combo overcame a fighting American-Canadian pair 7-5 7-6(4) in the first round of the ATP 250 hard court tournament.
Later in the day, Divij Sharan and Purav Raja lost 5-7 5-7 to higher-ranked Colombian pairing of Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah in their first round.
Paes and Bracciali will now fight it out with Cabal and Farah for a place in the semifinals.
At the Malaysian Open, Somdev Devvarman and his South African partner Rik De Voest registered an easy 6-3 6-2 win over Spaniard Pablo Andujar and Victor Hanescu of Romania.
They now face second seeded French-Serbian team of Julien Benneteau and Nenad Zimonjic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bizarre: This London restaurant promotes nudism; you can eat your meals here fully naked!
- Tata Group mulling over plan to launch wearables for yoga practioners, factory workers
- JNU sends show-cause to Umar for movie screening last year
- A vitamin that can decelerate ageing process!
- DU stops sale, distribution of book referring to Bhagat Singh as terrorist