Paes and Somdev progress, Divij-Raja pair bows out
New Delhi: Leander Paes and Somdev Devvarman progressed to the doubles quarterfinals in their respective ATP tournaments but the pair of Divij Sharan and Purav Raja went down fighting, on Wednesday.
First to take field was Paes with his Italian partner Daniele Bracciali at the Thailand Open in Bangkok and the second seeded pair pipped James Cerretani and Adil Shamasdin.
The Indo-Italian combo overcame a fighting American-Canadian pair 7-5 7-6(4) in the first round of the ATP 250 hard court tournament.
Later in the day, Divij Sharan and Purav Raja lost 5-7 5-7 to higher-ranked Colombian pairing of Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah in their first round.
Paes and Bracciali will now fight it out with Cabal and Farah for a place in the semifinals.
At the Malaysian Open, Somdev Devvarman and his South African partner Rik De Voest registered an easy 6-3 6-2 win over Spaniard Pablo Andujar and Victor Hanescu of Romania.
They now face second seeded French-Serbian team of Julien Benneteau and Nenad Zimonjic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason