Paes and Somdev progress, Divij-Raja pair bows out
New Delhi: Leander Paes and Somdev Devvarman progressed to the doubles quarterfinals in their respective ATP tournaments but the pair of Divij Sharan and Purav Raja went down fighting, on Wednesday.
First to take field was Paes with his Italian partner Daniele Bracciali at the Thailand Open in Bangkok and the second seeded pair pipped James Cerretani and Adil Shamasdin.
The Indo-Italian combo overcame a fighting American-Canadian pair 7-5 7-6(4) in the first round of the ATP 250 hard court tournament.
Later in the day, Divij Sharan and Purav Raja lost 5-7 5-7 to higher-ranked Colombian pairing of Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah in their first round.
Paes and Bracciali will now fight it out with Cabal and Farah for a place in the semifinals.
At the Malaysian Open, Somdev Devvarman and his South African partner Rik De Voest registered an easy 6-3 6-2 win over Spaniard Pablo Andujar and Victor Hanescu of Romania.
They now face second seeded French-Serbian team of Julien Benneteau and Nenad Zimonjic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing