Paes-Stepanek defeat Bhupathi-Bopanna to win doubles title at Shanghai Masters
Shanghai: Leander Paes of India and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek beat India`s Mahesh Bhupathi and Rohan Bopanna for the doubles tennis title at the Shanghai Masters Sunday.
The fourth seeds claimed a 6-7(7-9), 6-3, 10-5 comeback victory over the Indian duo, seeded seventh.
The Indian/Czech tandem saved four of the five break points they faced and broke their opponents twice to claim victory in one hour and 36 minutes. Paes and Stepanek won 50 percent of points on Bhupathi/Bopanna`s second serve and won 70 percent of their own service points.
"Today was a bit more of a personal match for us three Indians," Paes was quoted as saying by ATP website.
"Radek came in and he made it fun for me. He relaxed, laughed, joked. Said, `stay smooth, relaxed and have a hungry intensity`."
Paes and Stepanek, who have already qualified for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London, earned 1000 ATP World Tour ranking points and $207,320. Four spots remain at the year-end championships, with Bhupathi and Bopanna bolstering their claim by receiving 600 ranking points.
"We`ve had a great year," said Paes. "It started off with a big bang. To do well early in a partnership is something that can happen. But to continue playing well right through the whole year shows the quality of tennis that we play."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what