Paes-Stepanek pair makes a winning start at year-end finals
London: Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek made a stupendous start to their campaign at the year-end ATP World Tour finals as they shocked second seeds Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares in a closely-fought Group B match, here on Tuesday.
The seventh seeded Paes and Stepanek pair beat the Austria-Brazilain combination 6-3 5-7 10-8 in one hour and 42 minutes.
Before prevailing in the Super Tie breaker, Paes and Stepanek overcame some anxious moments towards the end as their rivals fought hard.
Paes and Stepanek serevd throughout well but it was in the 12th game of the second set, when the Indian dropped his serve from 40-15 to make it a more thrilling contest, stretched to a Super Tie breaker.
Before that they had four chance to break their rivals but Peya and Soares saved all.
Paes and Stepanek had four match points but Peya and Soares saved three of the them.
The Indo-Czech pair is now second in the four-team Group B, behind Spanish combo of David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today