Paes-Stepanek pair makes a winning start at year-end finals
London: Leander Paes and Radek Stepanek made a stupendous start to their campaign at the year-end ATP World Tour finals as they shocked second seeds Alexander Peya and Bruno Soares in a closely-fought Group B match, here on Tuesday.
The seventh seeded Paes and Stepanek pair beat the Austria-Brazilain combination 6-3 5-7 10-8 in one hour and 42 minutes.
Before prevailing in the Super Tie breaker, Paes and Stepanek overcame some anxious moments towards the end as their rivals fought hard.
Paes and Stepanek serevd throughout well but it was in the 12th game of the second set, when the Indian dropped his serve from 40-15 to make it a more thrilling contest, stretched to a Super Tie breaker.
Before that they had four chance to break their rivals but Peya and Soares saved all.
Paes and Stepanek had four match points but Peya and Soares saved three of the them.
The Indo-Czech pair is now second in the four-team Group B, behind Spanish combo of David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Soon, Skype will not run on these Windows, Android phones
- Munich shooter was German-Iranian, motive `unclear`; likely sole shooter
- 'EgyptAir Flight 804 broke up in midair after a fire'
- Warrants issued in Turkey for arrest of 300 Presidential Guards
- Democrat Hilary Clinton picks Kaine as vice presidential running mate