Paramveer, Akshara clinch titles in contrasting fashions
Mumbai: Paramveer Singh Bajwa and Akshara Iska bagged the boys and girls under-16 titles in the 7th Ramesh Desai Memorial All India Ranking tennis tournament in contrasting style here on Saturday.
Bajwa, the third seed from Punjab, brooked hardly any resistance from his Delhi rival Alex Solanki, seeded fourth, and won the boys final in straight sets at the Cricket Club of India.
But the corresponding top seeded girl Akshara of AP, ranked third in the country, had to dig deep into her reserves to quell the stubborn challenge of 13th seeded rival Nandini Sharma of Chandigarh, who is India no. 24, in three sets after a prolonged two hour and 45-minute battle.
Results (all finals):
Boys under 12 singles: 3-Terence Prahil Das (TN) bt 4-Sacchitt Sharrma (DL) 6-1, 7-5.
Girls under 12 singles: 2-Prinkle Singh (JK) bt 1-Dedeepya Sai (AP) 6-1, 6-1.
Boys under 16 singles: 3-Paramveer Singh Bajwa (PB) bt 4-Alex Solanki (DL) 6-4, 6-1.
Girls under 16 singles: 1-Akshara Iska (AP) bt 13-Nandini Sharma (CH) 1-6, 7-5, 6-3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Liquor baron Vijay Mallya resigns from Rajya Sahba
- 'DDLJ' is Bollywood's most evergreen love story: Survey
- Planning to buy stylish shades? Here's your guide to buying perfect sunglasses
- NALCO agrees to buy back 25 percent stake from government: Mines Secretary
- Pakistan drop Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal for England tour