Players deserve a bigger cut of money at Wimbledon: Murray
Monte Carlo: British tennis star Andy Murray has demanded that players should get an improved pay packet at this year’s Wimbledon.
He claimed the players are ‘worth it’ and wants the All England Club to raise prize money for the competition this summer, a daily reports.
“Each Slam wants to be the biggest on the calendar. So it’d be hard to see one increasing the money and others not following,” Murray said.
According to reports, Murray said the world’s top tennis stars have been demanding a raise in the prize money, and would possibly boycott the matches, if their demands are not met.
“A lot of the talk about striking and boycotting came from guys who were ranked between 20 and 100,” Murray said, adding that they were ‘unhappy with the way the prize money was distributed’.
Murray stressed that Wimbledon should follow the example of the French Open, who are paying first-round losers almost 15,000 pounds, which is 20 per cent more than the amount given last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress