Players deserve a bigger cut of money at Wimbledon: Murray
Monte Carlo: British tennis star Andy Murray has demanded that players should get an improved pay packet at this year’s Wimbledon.
He claimed the players are ‘worth it’ and wants the All England Club to raise prize money for the competition this summer, a daily reports.
“Each Slam wants to be the biggest on the calendar. So it’d be hard to see one increasing the money and others not following,” Murray said.
According to reports, Murray said the world’s top tennis stars have been demanding a raise in the prize money, and would possibly boycott the matches, if their demands are not met.
“A lot of the talk about striking and boycotting came from guys who were ranked between 20 and 100,” Murray said, adding that they were ‘unhappy with the way the prize money was distributed’.
Murray stressed that Wimbledon should follow the example of the French Open, who are paying first-round losers almost 15,000 pounds, which is 20 per cent more than the amount given last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report