Players in shock but back Bartoli decision
Cincinnati: The tennis world reacted with stunned disbelief on Thursday as word of Wimbledon champion Marion Bartoli`s retirement spread, leaving the sport without one of its most popular champions and intriguing personalities.
Following a second round loss at the Western and Southern Open on Wednesday, the 28-year-old Frenchwoman walked off the court and two hours later stepped into a press conference to shock everyone, saying: "I feel it`s time for me to walk away."
Immediately social media exploded with fans, coaches, commentators and players, past and present, reacting with surprise and support.
"Crazy to wake up hearing about @bartoli_marion retiring but understand the feeling... Congrats on a great career," said Belgian Kim Clijsters, a former world number one who retired and then later returned to the sport to win two grand slams.
"You`ve had an unbelievable career & made your dream come true! Wishing you ALL the best girl," tweeted Sabine Lisicki, who was left in tears after being beaten by Bartoli in the Wimbledon final.
The Bartoli buzz dominated conversation at the Western and Southern Open with players arriving on Thursday not only to find out that the popular Frenchwoman had been knocked out of the tournament but had left the sport.
"I actually saw that on Twitter and I was like, yeah, that`s some crap," world number two Victoria Azarenka told reporters. "I think everybody`s a little bit surprised about that.
"I think it`s very brave to do that. I think she was chasing her dream for such a long time. When she got it, it felt good. So whatever makes her happy.
"There`s no doubt it`s been surprising for everybody."
CAUGHT OFF GUARD
Andy Murray, the men`s Wimbledon champion, who shared the tennis spotlight with Bartoli just six weeks ago, was caught off guard but happy to see her go out a winner.
"In some ways, it`s surprising but I did say in here the other day that...I think the biggest compliment you can pay an athlete is they`ve reached their potential, and I believe she did that," summed up world number two Murray.
"She worked exceptionally hard to get to where she`s got to. She deserved to win a grand slam and maybe it was the right time for her to stop because of how hard she needed to work.
"But it was obviously surprising because you don`t see it that often in sport where people kind of finish almost on the top in a way."
Described as quirky and brilliant, there was no denying that Bartoli marched to the unique beat of her own drum.
From her double-handed groundstrokes off both wings to her unorthodox training methods, Bartoli work outside the box and was celebrated for her uniqueness.
"So more power to her," said top-ranked American John Isner. "She had a great career and capped it off on a very high note. I`m not talking about losing here, I`m talking about winning Wimbledon.
"Not many people can call themselves a grand slam champion, but she can."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe