Powered-down Eugenie Bouchard knocked out in Montreal
Los Angeles: The Rogers Cup lost power both figuratively and literally on Tuesday with hometown favourite Eugenie Bouchard suffering a second round defeat to American qualifier Shelby Rogers.
The 20-year-old Bouchard, playing for the first time since losing in the Wimbledon final to Petra Kvitova last month, faltered badly in front of her native Montreal crowd.
Her 6-0 2-6 6-0 loss came after the event suffered a seven-hour power outage that shut down scoreboards and umpires` microphones.
Bouchard suffered her own issues out of the gate as she struggled with her serve and failed to claim a game in the opener.
She rebounded to dominate the second set but again showed rust in the decider, ending the anticipated quarter-final match between top-ranked Serena Williams and Bouchard.
Williams had the day off but her older sister Venus fought her way to a three-set victory against Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-1 3-6 6-2 despite the electrical conditions.
"It was like going back to the southern California juniors," Venus told reporters of the power outages.
"But I tried to think of it as positive. It felt good to win the match and hopefully gain some momentum."
In other matches, Caroline Wozniacki made easy work of Daniel Hantuchova in a 6-1 6-1 triumph, while third-seed Agnieszka Radwanska defeated Barbora Zahlavova-Strycova 6-4 6-4 and ninth-seed Ana Ivanovic routed Timea Bacsinszky 6-1 6-2.
Spain`s 14th seed Carla Suarez-Navarro and 16th-seed Elena Vesnina also advanced to the second round after respective victories over Bojana Jovanovski and Camila Giorgi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know