Pune boy Kadhe picked for ITF team for Europe tour
Mumbai: National under-16 champion Arjun Kadhe has been selected to join the ITF/ATF under-16 team to tour Europe for a training camp and participate in a series of five age group tournaments from May 25 to July 5 that will be financed by the Grand Slam Development Fund.
Kadhe, a member of the Maharashtra State Lawn Tennis Association’s Vision programme since 2006, was selected on the basis of his singles and doubles performance which helped India to qualify for the Junior Davis Cup world group, a media release from MSLTA said on Saturday.
The Pune boy, ranked number one in the country in his age group, lost only one match in the entire Asia Ocenia Zone qualifiers held in Malaysia last month.
The Europe tour is to start in Italy with a training camp at the Vavassori Academy followed by three tournaments in Italy and two in France.
“I’m thrilled to be selected for the ITF Asian team and proud to be the only Indian. I hope that I will do my country, AITA, MSLTA and my sponsors Bharat Forge Lakshya proud with my performances,” Kadhe said.
Kadhe, who trains with coach Hemant Bendrey at PYC Gymkhana, is the first player from Pune after Sandeep Kirtane to be selected for the ITF-Asian under-16 touring team to Europe.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'