Radwanska defeats Kvitova in WTA Championship
Istanbul: Poland`s Agnieszka Radwanska defeated reigning champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic, 6-3, 6-2 as the 2012 WTA Championships kicked off here.
In another White Group match Tuesday, former world No. 1 Maria Sharapova of Russia, seeded number two, beat seventh-seed Sara Errani 6-3, 6-2. The Russian Sharapova also beat the Italian Errani in this year`s French Open final, reports Xinhua.
Third-seed Serena Williams took care of fifth-seeded German Angelique Kerber 6-4, 6-1 in the Red Group.
The single round robin will continue to Friday and the top two players in each group will advance to the semifinals, and the winners will square off in the final Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family