Rafael Nadal aiming to recover for US Open
Madrid: Spanish tennis ace Rafael Nadal Monday said he is working hard to be able to play in the US Open, although he admits doubts over his backhand may be decisive in keeping him from defending the title he won last year.
The World No.2 was forced to pull out of the Masters 1000 events at Toronto and Cincinnati as a result of a wrist injury and now his focus is on being able to step on court in Flushing Meadow Aug 25 for the last Grand Slam of the year, reports Xinhua.
The reigning US Open Champion, Nadal injured his right wrist in training at the end of July and the injury means that the wrist has remained immobile in order to recover, something that Spaniard knows will badly affect his preparations.
"When you have a part of your body immobile for a while your muscles become weaker and you need time to get back to your former condition," he said in an interview with Mallorca-based TV station, IB3.
"I am going to try as hard as possible to recover, but all I can do is wait for the news of when I can get back into training he said.
Nadal will have tests on his wrist Tuesday and the result of these tests will determine in what shape he will travel to the US Open, if he travels at all.
"After the tests, I will know if I have improved or whether I have to wait a bit more. If the tests show I have improved, then I will have to try to see how much it hurts when I try and hit backhands," he explained.
"If I have the chance to compete, then obviously I am going to make an effort, but we have to realise that we only have a week and a half and that does not leave a lot of time and I can`t play if I can`t hit a backhand," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test