Rafael Nadal beats Alexandr Dolgopolov in Shanghai Masters
Beijing: Spain`s Rafael Nadal coasted to a 6-3, 6-2 victory Wednesday over Alexandr Dolgopolov in his opening match at the Shanghai Masters.
Nadal dominated his service games against the Ukrainian and did not face a single break point during the match, which he wrapped up in just under an hour.
A key to the match was Nadal`s first-serve percentage, which was above 80 percent in both sets. Combined with his 82 percent success rate on first-serve points, Dolgopolov could never make a dent in the Spaniard`s service games.
The 13-time Grand Slam champion, who is back on top of the ATP World Tour rankings this week thanks to a stellar 2013 that has included titles at the French Open and US Open, will next take on Argentina`s Carlos Berlocq in Thursday`s round of 16.
Berlocq pulled off the day`s biggest upset Wednesday by upsetting big-serving American John Isner 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).
In other second-round results Wednesday, world No. 2 Novak Djokovic of Serbia trounced Spaniard Marcel Granollers 6-2, 6-0, and world No. 7 Roger Federer of Switzerland topped Italy`s Andreas Seppi 6-4, 6-3.
The Shanghai Masters is one of the biggest hard-court events on the ATP World Tour calendar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?