Rafael Nadal beats Alexandr Dolgopolov in Shanghai Masters
Beijing: Spain`s Rafael Nadal coasted to a 6-3, 6-2 victory Wednesday over Alexandr Dolgopolov in his opening match at the Shanghai Masters.
Nadal dominated his service games against the Ukrainian and did not face a single break point during the match, which he wrapped up in just under an hour.
A key to the match was Nadal`s first-serve percentage, which was above 80 percent in both sets. Combined with his 82 percent success rate on first-serve points, Dolgopolov could never make a dent in the Spaniard`s service games.
The 13-time Grand Slam champion, who is back on top of the ATP World Tour rankings this week thanks to a stellar 2013 that has included titles at the French Open and US Open, will next take on Argentina`s Carlos Berlocq in Thursday`s round of 16.
Berlocq pulled off the day`s biggest upset Wednesday by upsetting big-serving American John Isner 6-4, 7-6 (7-4).
In other second-round results Wednesday, world No. 2 Novak Djokovic of Serbia trounced Spaniard Marcel Granollers 6-2, 6-0, and world No. 7 Roger Federer of Switzerland topped Italy`s Andreas Seppi 6-4, 6-3.
The Shanghai Masters is one of the biggest hard-court events on the ATP World Tour calendar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof