Rafael Nadal breezes into quarters
Acapulco (Mexico): Second seed Rafael Nadal shot into the quarterfinals of the ATP 500 tournament here Thursday, eliminating Argentine qualifier Martin Alund.
Nadal met almost no resistance in the first set but had to save three break points in the second to gain a 6-0, 6-4 win.
The Spaniard, who won the tournament in 2005, will now face Argentine World No.77 Leonardo Mayer, who knocked out Russia`s Andrey Kuznetsov 6-2, 6-2.
It is Nadal`s third tournament after a seven-month layoff with a knee injury. He reached the final of the Chile Open before grabbing his 51st career title in Sao Paolo.
Top seed David Ferrer, meanwhile, also had little trouble clearing the second-round hurdle as he blazed past Wayne Odesnik of the US 6-2, 6-1.
Ferrer, the champion for the last three years, will play Italy`s 57th-ranked Paolo Lorenzi in the quarterfinals.
Nicolas Almagro, seeded third, scraped past compatriot Tommy Robredo 6-4, 7-6(4) to book a quarterfinal encounter with eighth seed Horacio Zeballos of Argentina.
The last quarterfinal pair features two unseeded players: Italy`s World No.43 Fabio Fognini and Santiago Giraldo of Colombia, ranked 66th in the world.
The Acapulco tournament is a clay-court event. It offers a $1.2 million prize fund for men while for the women it is a lowly WTA international event offering prize money of $235,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH