Rafael Nadal defeats Stanislas Wawrinka to win Madrid Open final
Zee Media Bureau
Madrid: Rafael Nadal comprehensively defeated Stanislas Wawrinka 6-2, 6-4 on Sunday to win the Madrid Open final.
The fifth-ranked Nadal bagged his 55th career title and extended his head-to-head record with the Swiss to 9-0.
Earlier in the day, Serena Williams defeated Maria Sharapova in straight sets in women's singles final.
Serena outclassed her opponent 6-1, 6-4 to claim her 50th career title. While Serena retained her no. 1 ranking, Sharapova suffered her first loss in a red-clay final after winning eight in a row.
With this victory, Williams improved her record against Sharapova to 13-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Three federal police officials killed in Mexico
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership