Rafael Nadal defeats Stanislas Wawrinka to win Madrid Open final
Zee Media Bureau
Madrid: Rafael Nadal comprehensively defeated Stanislas Wawrinka 6-2, 6-4 on Sunday to win the Madrid Open final.
The fifth-ranked Nadal bagged his 55th career title and extended his head-to-head record with the Swiss to 9-0.
Earlier in the day, Serena Williams defeated Maria Sharapova in straight sets in women's singles final.
Serena outclassed her opponent 6-1, 6-4 to claim her 50th career title. While Serena retained her no. 1 ranking, Sharapova suffered her first loss in a red-clay final after winning eight in a row.
With this victory, Williams improved her record against Sharapova to 13-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing