Rafael Nadal defeats Stanislas Wawrinka to win Madrid Open final
Zee Media Bureau
Madrid: Rafael Nadal comprehensively defeated Stanislas Wawrinka 6-2, 6-4 on Sunday to win the Madrid Open final.
The fifth-ranked Nadal bagged his 55th career title and extended his head-to-head record with the Swiss to 9-0.
Earlier in the day, Serena Williams defeated Maria Sharapova in straight sets in women's singles final.
Serena outclassed her opponent 6-1, 6-4 to claim her 50th career title. While Serena retained her no. 1 ranking, Sharapova suffered her first loss in a red-clay final after winning eight in a row.
With this victory, Williams improved her record against Sharapova to 13-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj