Rafael Nadal defeats Stanislas Wawrinka to win Madrid Open final
Zee Media Bureau
Madrid: Rafael Nadal comprehensively defeated Stanislas Wawrinka 6-2, 6-4 on Sunday to win the Madrid Open final.
The fifth-ranked Nadal bagged his 55th career title and extended his head-to-head record with the Swiss to 9-0.
Earlier in the day, Serena Williams defeated Maria Sharapova in straight sets in women's singles final.
Serena outclassed her opponent 6-1, 6-4 to claim her 50th career title. While Serena retained her no. 1 ranking, Sharapova suffered her first loss in a red-clay final after winning eight in a row.
With this victory, Williams improved her record against Sharapova to 13-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire