Rafael Nadal faces Souza in Brazil Open second round
Sao Paulo: Former World No.1 Rafael Nadal will face Brazilian qualifier Joao Souza in his opening singles tennis match at the Brazil Open.
Souza advanced to the second round of the ATP 250 clay-court event after opponent Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo was forced to retire, hurt with an ankle problem during their first round match Wednesday, reports Xinhua.
At the time of the injury the 140th-ranked Brazilian led the Spaniard 7-6 (8-6) and 30-0 in the first game of the second set.
Nadal, who earned a first-round singles bye, progressed to the second round of the doubles event with David Nalbandian Tuesday with a 6-3, 3-6, 11-9 victory over Pablo Andujar and Guillermo Garcia Lopez
The Brazil Open is Nadal`s second tournament since returning from a seven-month layoff due to a knee injury. He won the event in his only previous appearance in Brazil as an 18-year-old in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter