Rafael Nadal faces Souza in Brazil Open second round
Sao Paulo: Former World No.1 Rafael Nadal will face Brazilian qualifier Joao Souza in his opening singles tennis match at the Brazil Open.
Souza advanced to the second round of the ATP 250 clay-court event after opponent Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo was forced to retire, hurt with an ankle problem during their first round match Wednesday, reports Xinhua.
At the time of the injury the 140th-ranked Brazilian led the Spaniard 7-6 (8-6) and 30-0 in the first game of the second set.
Nadal, who earned a first-round singles bye, progressed to the second round of the doubles event with David Nalbandian Tuesday with a 6-3, 3-6, 11-9 victory over Pablo Andujar and Guillermo Garcia Lopez
The Brazil Open is Nadal`s second tournament since returning from a seven-month layoff due to a knee injury. He won the event in his only previous appearance in Brazil as an 18-year-old in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas
- Flirt with the waves a la Lisa Haydon – Watch video